Saturday, December 15, 2012

Gifts and Cards

It's funny what giving and receiving makes you realize. 

The other day I was putting together a photo gift for my in-laws. My sister in-law had been kind enough to spend some time compiling an album of her family's photos to share with me so I could complete my project. Of course I looked through them all before I selected the ones I would use. While going through them it hit me, that when compared to my photos one thing was missing. Family shots. In the photos she shared with me there was at least half a dozen photos with all four of them together. I had zero. Not one. In fact the last time all four of us took a photo together was the day Peyton was born. I don't even have professional family portraits.

I love pictures. I take lots of them. I take photos everyday. Usually of my children. Scott and I are rarely in any of them, and almost never are there photos of all four of us. I'm really irked by this. I plan on fixing this. It's not that I need proof in the form of pictures that I have a family, it would just be nice too look through albums and see the four of us together.

The other thing that's been brought to my attention via christmas cards and yearly letters, Is that we don't go anywhere. I mean, we take the occasional drive to monterey for the day. But we don't take many weekends away to explore something new, or day trips to the beach. Next year - I hope to change that, and take pictures of all of us!

1 comment:

  1. I think that's a very true statement. My mom use to say the same thing about not having 'family' photos. It's important to document you're involvement but yet still live in the moment. (PS I'm loving that you're blogging again!) Do you watch 'Up all Night?' Funny comedy. They talk about the pressures of Christmas letters and how you might feel as if you did nothing compared to someone else. When in fact- that's not true! You're raising two girls full time! That's quite an accomplishment. Family vacas are great and I applaud you for wanting to do more of them. But remember your day to day is FILLED with amazing moments. xoxo

    ReplyDelete